Selected poetry events. Pittsburgh's panoply of poetry will sate the most jaded poetic palate!
(For a more comprehensive listing of literary events, see Pittsburgh Literary Calendar.)
On the fourth Wednesday of each month, PPE holds a discussion of a poetry book chosen by a member, at Coffee Tree Roasters on Walnut Street in Pittsburgh's Shadyside. See our Workshops page for details, including a list of the poetry books to be discussed.
PPE holds a poetry workshop, open to all, on the first Monday of each month at Brentwood Public Library. 7 to 10 p.m. Open to all. A $2 donation is requested. See Workshops page for details.
May 15: Pittsburgh Poetry Exchange introduces Stuart Sheppard. With Ziggy Edwards and Barry Govenor. 7:30 p.m. S. S. Presbyterian Church. 1926 Sarah St. $5 donation.
Quick guide to upcoming poetry readings(all in eve, scroll for details. Most free.):
- May 19, 26, June 2. Hemingway's Café.
- May 15. Stuart Sheppard, Ziggy Edwards, Barry Govenor. S.S. Presbyterian Church. $5.
- May 16. Mcilroy, Friend, Williams-Devereux. East End Book Exchange.
- Hemingway's Summer Series, a popular, long-running poetry series, runs weekly on Tuesday evenings at 8 p.m. from May through July. Jimmy Cvetic, founder and longtime director of the Hemingway Summer Series, hosts. Joan Bauer curates. This series takes place in the back room of Hemingway's Café at 3911 Forbes Avenue in Pittsburgh's Oakland. Free and open to the public. Meals and beverages available for purchase. After the featured readers for most readings there is open mic.
- May 19:
Kelli Stevens Kane, Nancy Krygowski,
Richard St. John, and Philip Terman.
- May 26:
Pittsburgh Poetry Exchange.
Judith Dorian, Mark Goldman, Barry Govenor, Joe Kaldon, Sheila Kelly,
Kathryn McGregor, Ed Murray, Steve Pusateri, Judith Robinson, Nick Romeo,
and Stuart Sheppard. Introduction by Michael Wurster.
- June 2:
Squirrel Hill Poetry Workshop.
Michael Albright, Ann Curran, Ziggy Edwards, Erin Garstka,
Christine Doreian Michaels, Randy Minnich, Pam O'Brien, Rosaly DeMaios Roffman,
Joanne Samraney, Shirley Stevens, and Arlene Weiner.
- June 9:
Margaret Bashaar, Craig Bernier, Romella Kitchens,
Leslie Anne Mcilroy, and Sheila Squillante.
- June 16:
Tess Barry, Jan Beatty, Celeste Gainey, and Rachel Mennies.
- June 23:
Ace Boggess, Barbara Edelman, Mike Schneider,
Michael Simms, and Ellen McGrath Smith.
- June 30:
Deborah Bogen, Robin Clarke, Fred Shaw, and Robert Gibb.
- July 7:
Jimmy Cvetic, Ed Ochester, Terrance Hayes, Judith Vollmer,
and Michael Wurster.
- July 15:
David Ades, Sheila Carter-Jones, Gene Hirsch,
Mary Soon Lee, Joan E. Bauer, and Joseph Karasek.
- July 22:
Tameka Cage Conley, Frank Montesonti, John Repp,
Marianne Trale, Bob Walicki, and Carolyne Whelan.
- July 29: The Grand Finale.
Jason Baldinger, Stephanie Brea, Kristofer Collins, Angele Ellis,
John Korn, Adam Matcho, Bob Pajich, and Scott Silsbe. Hosted by Kristofer Collins.
And don't forget Prosody, WESA-FM's radio program, featuring local and nationally known writers. Now Saturdays, 6:30 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. 90.5.