PPE HOME OPEN POETRY WORKSHOP EACH MONTH: All are welcome!
Poets of any level of experience are encouraged to come and respond to each other's poetry. Bring multiple copies (about 16) of your poem. Meets first Monday of each month from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. atBrentwood Public Library
3501 Brownsville Road
the Center for African-American Poetry and Poetics at the U. of Pittsburgh, the Kelly-Strayhorn Theater, and the Year of Diversity, U. of Pittsburgh. We request a donation of $2 for the library. Questions? Call 412-481-POEM for further information. For directions, 412-882-5694. The library is on the route of the Carrick bus, 51C.
Black Poets Speak OutSponsored by The Center for African-American Poetry and Poetics at the U. of Pittsburgh, the Kelly-Strayhorn Theater, and the Year of Diversity, U. of Pittsburgh.
- November 9: founders Jericho Brown, Mahogany Browne, and Amanda Johnston will lead an interactive community workshop on Poetry and Practice at the Kelly-Strayhorn Theater’s Alloy Studios, 5530 Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh. Sponsored by 6:30 to 7:30 PM. Register for the workshop at Kelly-Strayhorn. Pay what makes you happy.
- Also November 9: #BlackPoetsSpeakOut: Pittsburgh Community Reading. 7:30 to 8:30 PM. The Kelly-Strayhorn Theater’s Alloy Studios, 5530 Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA.
- November 10th, 5:30 to 7:00 PM: Reading and Q and A. Frick Fine Arts Auditorium, Schenley Drive. A reception will follow the event.
POETRY DISCUSSION GROUPS
Michael Wurster leads a participatory discussion of a well-known poet chosen by a participant. 7:30 p.m. on the fourth Wednesday of each month. Free.
We meet in a private room at the back of the Coffee Tree, 5524 Walnut Street, in Shadyside, 412-621-6880.
Note: each participant will be responsible for getting the book for himself or herself.
Readings for future sessions:
Sad to say that Carnegie Library's "3 Poems by..." Poetry Discussion Group has been discontinued.
- September 28: Ellen McGrath Smith, Nobody's Jackknife (West End Press). The poet will be present!
- October 26: Hayden Carruth Toward the Distant Island: New and Selected Poems (Copper Canyon).
- November 23: Linda Gregg, Things and Flesh (Graywolf).
PURPOSE WORKSHOPS PUBLICATIONS READINGS LINKS
For further information about Pittsburgh Poetry Exchange, phone 412-481-POEM, contact us via email, or send regular mail to:
Pittsburgh Poetry Exchange
P.O. Box 4279
Pittsburgh, PA 15203
Note: Michael Wurster does not use email; please use the phone number or postal address if your inquiry is specifically for him.
|Poetry||Books and Literature||Writers' Organizations|